BUG #4738: Cannot reconnect to shared memory

From: "Jonathan Barnhart" <jdbarnhart(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4738: Cannot reconnect to shared memory
Date: 2009-03-27 21:37:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4738
Logged by: Jonathan Barnhart
Email address: jdbarnhart(at)yahoo(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
Operating system: WinXP, Vista
Details:

This bug seems to have been reintroduced between versions 8.3.4 and 8.3.7.
It is basically a race condition when the fork emulation for Windows is
used. The problem is that the side of the "fork" that creates the shared
memory to emulate the Unix fork is often executed AFTER the logic in the
"forked" process that connects to the shared memory.

The obvious thing that has to be done is to create the shared memory object
and THEN spawn the child processes. Unfortunately, the logic in that area
is not entirely straightforward with a number of dependancies.

I'm working on patching this, but so far I have had issues with screwing up
other order dependant code.