Re: Question on returning Rows in a stored proc

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question on returning Rows in a stored proc
Date: 2009-03-24 17:14:19
Lists: pgsql-novice
Richard Sickler <richard(dot)sickler(at)avagotech(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to pl/pgsql and while exploring the world of writing stored procs, I
> came up with a question that I hope some kind person can help me with, namely,
> how does one return a bunch of rows?
> From the examples that I've found on the web, I can return and integer, a real,
> etc.  But if I wanted to return the results of something like a query, (e.g.
> SELECT * FROM foo), how would I do that?

Create your function as "... returns setof ... ", read more:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/plpgsql-control-structures.html

and/or:

18:13 < akretschmer> ??srf
18:13 < rtfm_please> For information about srf
18:13 < rtfm_please> see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-SQL-TABLE-FUNCTIONS
18:13 < rtfm_please> or http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/26

Andreas