Re: Driver crashing on many temporary tables?

From: Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver crashing on many temporary tables?
Date: 2009-03-09 16:06:27
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I did some more checks. psqlodbc-08_00_0101 is indeed not crashing - psqlodbc-08_01_0200 does. I haven't tested the other versions in between yet. Maybe the switch to libpq and ANSI/Unicode versions does make the difference. Via script I've found some tuples with characters not defined in LATIN1 - the db's encoding. I've replaced all the characters in question and will run another test with the newest psqlODBC on the db.

BTW is there a way to manually set the ROLLBACK LEVEL ON ERROR to Statement ( via SQL statement in the connect settings for example?) in older versions of psqlODBC (those without radio button)? Otherwise errors not connected to this problem could occur.

Can I change the path to the psqlODBC Logs from C:\?

> > we have a problem with psqlODBC v8.2.300 (maybe some older releases as
> well) and above - up to v8.3.400.
> > Some large operations/transactions can cause the driver to crash -
> obviously depends on the size of the db as well though.
> > It seems to happen on the same query on the same client - but
> different from the other clients/servers/days.
> > Operations on temporary tables seem to be involved every time. We
> store search results in dynamically generated temporary
> > tables and the problematic operations create(d) MANY of them in
> recursive functions. We restored the test dbs from the same
> > backup.
> > The servers (e.g. Windows v8.3.6 and Linux v8.3.5) don't crash though.
> > Remarkably older versions like v8.0.01.01 have been reported to now show
> this problem with the same db. I did check the
> > psqlODBC's release notes but I have no idea which change could
> indirectly be resonsible.
> > I activated Mylog and Comlog in the system-DSN. The Uncompressed Mylog
> got pretty large (over 2,5 GB) so is there a way
> > to change the standard paths for these logs?
> > It seems that Mylog uses quite a few resources as well - e.g. I had to
> increase max_locks_per_transaction considerably from normal. Otherwise our
> application would hang in transaction.

> > The compressed log-Files are still over 250 MB - so I didn't attach
> them.

> Anyway could you put them somewhere where I can dounload it?

I've sent a private mail with the download information.

Thank you very much,

Peter