Re: SYNONYMs revisited

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SYNONYMs revisited
Date: 2009-03-04 19:29:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 04 March 2009 16:34:54 Joshua Tolley wrote:
> Way back in this thread[1] one of the arguments against allowing
> some version of CREATE SYNONYM was that we couldn't create a synonym for
> an object in a remote database. Will the SQL/MED work make this sort of
> thing a possibility?

The idea is that SQL/MED will create objects known as foreign tables that
represent remote resources but work locally like a normal table. So in some
sense, SQL/MED already creates a local synonym-type thing for remote
resources anyway, so there is no need to create a separate synonym in the
Oracle sense on top of that.