Re: WIP: hooking parser

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP: hooking parser
Date: 2009-02-12 14:24:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 12:05:03 Pavel Stehule wrote:
> It works. And I thing, this should to solve lot of special task
> related to increase compatibility with Oracle, Informix, or it could
> be usefull for some others (json support).
>
> postgres=# load 'decode';
> LOAD
> postgres=# select
> decode(null::integer,2,'ahoj',3,'Petr',1,'Pavel',null, 'jaja');
> decode
> --------
> jaja
> (1 row)

I think what you want here is some way to define a function that takes an
arbitrary number of arguments of arbitrary type and let the function figure
everything out. I see no reason why this can't be a variant on CREATE
FUNCTION, except that of course you need to figure out some API and function
resolution details. But it doesn't have to be a completely different concept
like a binary plugin.