Re: add_path optimization

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add_path optimization
Date: 2009-02-03 03:32:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Yikes! The impact of the patch is about what I'd expect, but the fact
> > that planning time has nearly tripled is... way poor.
>
> We're going to need to see the test case, because I don't see that in
> some simple tests here.

A good data set, plus complex queries against it, might be the data from
the US Census, specifically the TIGER data and the TIGER geocoder. I've
been following this thread with the intention of putting together a
large-data test set, but I just havn't found the time to yet. Right now
there's alot of dependencies on PostGIS (which aren't really required to
just do the queries to pull out the street segment) which I figure
people would want ripped out. It'd also be nice to include the other
Census data besides just the road data.

If people really are interested, I'll see what I can put together. It's
*alot* of data (around 23G total in PG), though perhaps just doing 1
state would be enough for a good test, I keep the states split up
anyway using CHECK constraints. Don't think that would change this
case, though there might be cases where it does affect things..

Thanks,

Stephen