Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2009-01-16 03:36:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh,

* Josh Berkus (josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com) wrote:
>> On a seperate (kind of) note, I'd really like to be able to say "I want
>> this function visible everywhere" like a system function. public really
>> doesn't fit this bill very well, in my experience.
>
> We're *so* not going there. If you really want this, just log in as
> superuser and add the functions to pg_catalog.

Perhaps I didn't consider that out of sheer paranoia, but now that
you've mentioned it, I'm not inherently against doing it if
it'd work and not cause me more headaches than what I've got today.
As I mentioned in my other email, this is mainly for PostGIS, but it can
certainly apply to other modules. Is this what we would recommend as an
approach for these kinds of modules? I feel like that would give
-hackers, or perhaps the PostGIS people, some heartburn, but maybe I'm
wrong?

Still doesn't solve my complaint about being unable to keep the
functions from different modules seperate, but that's true regardless of
using pg_catalog or public, so this could at least be a net improvment.

Comments?

Thanks,

Stephen