Re: PGCon brand

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, melanie(at)dunslane(dot)net
Subject: Re: PGCon brand
Date: 2009-01-12 22:58:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Monday 12 January 2009 14:10:40 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > I agree, though I've always wondered if a better solution would be for
> > Dan to rename his conference as PGCan (which is a play on BSDCan, his
> > other conference, and would provide even more brand identity).
>
> Well, right now, pgCon is the primary conference for PostgreSQL hackers.
>   Renaming it to pgCan would be tantamount to giving up that status.

Why? It didn't get that status because of the name of the thing. If you
recall, the first developers meeting was called something like "the postgres
annivesary summit".  There are other factors in play. And really -hackers are
not the ones confused by all this, as they're fairly well connected, so a
switch to BSDCan shouldn't lead to much disruption for them, while making
things clearer for others.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net