Re: Do we still need constraint_exclusion?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we still need constraint_exclusion?
Date: 2009-01-07 22:14:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon,

* Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> I don't really understand this. Who can set up an inherited table
> structure but can't remember to turn on constraint_exclusion? That is
> the easiest part of the whole process by a long way. Nobody has this
> table design by accident, they've all been told how or read the docs.

I can, very easily. It happens whenever we stand up a new server, dump
our tables into it, create our UNION ALL views, and then try to query
them. Sure, we've gotten used to "oh, we need to go check and make sure
constraint_exclusion is on", but it can be annoying, and if we're ever
handing off our table structures/setups to other people we have to
remember to tell them "oh, and don't forget to enable
constraint_exclusion!", etc, etc..

Thanks,

Stephen