Re: WAL documentation changes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Renner <michael(dot)renner(at)amd(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL documentation changes
Date: 2008-12-10 11:08:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Renner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the comment WRT WAL recovery and FS journals [1] is a bit misleading in
> it's current form.
>
> First, none of the general purpose filesystems I've seen so far do data
> journalling per default, since it's a huge performance penalty, even for
> non-RDBMS workloads. The feature you talk about is ext3 specific (and
> should be pointed out as such) and only disables write ordering, meaning
> that metadata and file content updates are not synchronized.

You are right that my docs were misleading. I have improved them by
mentioning that it is _data_ flush that as part of journalling that can
be a problem, and documented that the mount option listed is
ext3-specific, not linux-specific.

Updated docs attached. Please let me know if I can improve it some
more.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
/rtmp/diff text/x-diff 1.5 KB