Re: How to profile an "SQL script"?

From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to profile an "SQL script"?
Date: 2008-12-03 19:40:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kynn Jones <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com> schrieb:

> Hi. I have a longish collection of SQL statements stored in a file that I run
> periodically via cron. Running this "script" takes a bit too long, even for a
> cron job, and I would like to streamline it.
>
> Is there a way to tell Postgres to print out, after each SQL statement is
> executed, how long it took to execute?

Do you run this with psql? You can switch on timing-output, with
\timing. It displays after each statement the run-time for this
statement.

Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly." (unknown)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe. N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°