Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1197)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1197)
Date: 2008-11-21 02:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> >> This sounds similar to BSD capability were certain security settings can
> >> only be changed in single-user mode.
> >
> > Actually, an interesting idea would be to allow "sepostgresql_row_level"
> > to be turned on, but not off. That means if it was turned on in
> > postgresql.conf, it could not be turned off, but if it is off in
> > postgresql.conf, it could be turned on via SET or via ALTER
> > USER/DATABASE; I think that would be a nice capability.
>
> I think the "sepostgresql_mode" and "sepostgresql_row_level" should not
> be toggled frequently.
>
> Please consider SELinux/SE-PostgreSQL requires various kind of objects
> (including database objects) to be labeled properly at the initial state.
> If it allows clients to turn on row-level security feature, it means many
> "unlabeled" tuples appear suddenly. In generally, these have to be labeled
> before the system get being available.

I was thinking more about people are using the SQL-level row
permissions. Are they going to want it for all tables for all
databases, or not at all? I assumed they would want to be more
selective. I agree the SE-Linux users would probably not toggle it for
different objects and databases frequently.

Actually, you called it "sepostgresql_mode", SE*, but how are we going
to control the SQL-level row permissions? Are we using this name? I
didn't think so because it seems so associated withe SE-Linux, and if
not, how would one say whether a table has SQL-level row permissions?

> > On a related note, KaiGai, you are now starting the long road of getting
> > feedback with the ultimate goal of getting your patch into CVS. I will
> > warn you that there is often much work during this stage, and it might
> > stretch into January as we request adjustments, but ultimately your
> > feature and Postgres will be better for it. Thanks for sticking with
> > it.
>
> Don't worry, I'm be available for the works, and give a lot for inclusion
> of the feature at v8.4.

Great. Sometimes these bold additions can require perhaps thirty
changes before they are added to CVS, I am afraid to say. It can be a
painful part of open source development, even though in the end it is
worth it. (While it is happening, it doesn't seem very useful.)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com