shared memory on Windows?

From: "Jan-Peter Seifert" <Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shared memory on Windows?
Date: 2008-11-20 09:29:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I wonder what the current status of shared memory on Windows and PostgreSQL is.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC
says "On Windows, PostgreSQL provides its own replacement implementation of these facilities".

I didn't find any details on this. Just this older thread for example.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01081.php

So is PostgreSQL (could still be) using the Swapfile on Windows? Should one let Windows decide on the size of the swapfile as usual then? Is it still "keep shared buffers as small as possible on Windows"? I guess the 32MB is just a "Windows default"?

Thank you very much,

Peter