Re: FreeBSD 7 needing to allocate lots of shared memory

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Christiaan Willemsen <cwillemsen(at)technocon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 7 needing to allocate lots of shared memory
Date: 2008-11-14 13:08:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 01:56:31PM +0100, Christiaan Willemsen wrote:
> I'm trying to get postgressql running on FreeBSD with 64 GB of memory.
> Postgres will the the only thing running, so I want it to use as much
> memory as needed.
>
> So I increased shared_memory to 50GB, and also set:

Umm, do you have a specific reason for not allowing the OS to cache
your DB? Is it actually a 64-bit machine you're running on?

> kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1
> kern.ipc.semmap=512
> kern.ipc.shmall=65536
> kern.ipc.shmmax=68719476736

That shmall limits you to at most 256MB, maybe you want to change that
also?

I'd suggest making shared buffers at most a few GB and use the rest for
caching.

Have a nice day,