BUG #4526: Problem with sorting order by clause and null values(space) in the beginning og a string

From: "stella" <stellajn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4526: Problem with sorting order by clause and null values(space) in the beginning og a string
Date: 2008-11-12 19:08:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4526
Logged by: stella
Email address: stellajn(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.4
Operating system: linux
values(space) in the beginning og a string
Details:

Hi,

we experience a problem after upgrating to 8.3.4 from 8.2.5 as we use 'ORDER
BY' clause. The old version sorted char starting with null characters first
for example ' anything' would be before 'anything'. Saw there are some new
options NULLS FIRST/LAST, but they are not working in that case. Is there a
setting of the server so we can default to list first strings that start
with empty characters or a option that we should add to the query so the
sorting to be as we need to be ?

Thanks in addvance,
stella