Re: options for launching sql script asynchronously from web app

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: options for launching sql script asynchronously from web app
Date: 2008-11-08 10:40:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:36:06 +0200
"Asko Oja" <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Whenever asynchronous execution or batch processing is needed PgQ
> in SkyTools should be one option to be evaluated. It has PhP
> interfaces as well as tens of useful Python scripts.

Nice to know and really nice tool but it seems not suited for my
needs.
1) it is too complicated and it's not in Debian etch (it seems to be
at least in sid anyway)
2) It doesn't guarantee that an event is processed only once
3) events are passed in batches. It is up to the consumer to process
an event at a time
4) it seems it is pooling the queue (?), not receiving events

I could set it so that it would look like as what I need... but it
looks much work that writing a python daemon.
At this stage I think that a delay in response of 59 sec may be
tolerable and manage it with cron and lock files.
I don't like it... but I've done it before and I'm still alive.

I just have to trigger an event that run asynchronously, avoid
other events of the same kind are triggered while one is running and
report back event status.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo