Re: Updated backslash consistency patch

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date: 2008-11-07 21:44:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> Here's an updated version of the psql backslash patch that should
> apply cleanly to the current HEAD. To recap, this makes all the \dX
> commands (most importantly to most: \df) work like \dt does, in that it
> requires a \dXS to see system items. See the archives for much more
> discussion on the issue.

Some comments:

1. toast objects no longer show up anywhere; they are removed in the
non-system case by excluding pg_toast% schemas, and are removed in the
system case by requiring nspname = 'pg_catalog'

2. the help.c patch no longer applies due to the \dC patch recently
applied

3. the help.c patch breaks alignment of the help output. I think the
best way to fix it would be to change [PATTERN] into something shorter
like [PAT] and add a mention to that in the first line, something like

> fprintf(output, _("Informational\n"));
> ! fprintf(output, _(" Modifiers: S = show system objects + = Additional detail\n"));
fprintf(output, _(" [PAT] means an optional glob-like pattern\n");