Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements
Date: 2008-10-20 10:01:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> > I'd like to submit pg_stat_statements contrib module
>
> Sounds very good, but why contrib and not along with the rest of the
> stats stuff in the main backend (with an on/off switch if the overhead
> is high)?

That's because it could be done as a contrib module ;-)
(Yeah! Postgres is a very extensible database!)

I'm not sure what should be in the main and what should not.
Why is pg_freespacemap still in contrib?

I think the module is not mature yet and users will want to
modify it to their satisfaction. It will be easier if the
module is separated from the core codes. (The same can be
said for contrib/auto_explan, which is my other proposal.)

Now I'm working on storing statistics into disks on server
shutdown. If it is impossible unless the module is in core,
I would change my policy...

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro