Re: Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches (for CommitFest:Sep)

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches (for CommitFest:Sep)
Date: 2008-09-24 16:25:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:58:58 -0400
>
> > The objection comes down to this: it's an extremely large, invasive,
> > and probably performance-losing patch, which apparently will be of use
> > to only a rather small set of people. It's not unreasonable to
> > discuss just how large that set might be while we debate whether to
> > accept the patch.
>
> I know of no one that really uses SELinux because it is a nightmare. On
> the other hand, this type of security is required to get into certain
> scary tin foil hat producing institutions.
>
> Do we want want to target those respective types of installs. If so,
> then we have no choice but to try and make this patch (or similar)
> work. If not, then I believe it is entirely too large of a change to
> even bother with.

I think if we get the SQL-level stuff we want implemented we can see
much better how much code SE-Linux support requires. For example, as
the patch stands we have SE-Linux-specific tuple header fields, which
seems like major overkill, but if the fields were already there for SQL
feature capability the SE-Linux patch would be much less invasive.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com