Re: WIP patch: Collation support

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Radek Strnad <radek(dot)strnad(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP patch: Collation support
Date: 2008-09-19 06:23:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 05:41:16PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Attached is an updated version of the stripped-down patch. I've cleaned
> it up a bit, and added more sanity checks. Documentation is still
> missing and I haven't test it much.

FWIW, I disagree with the stripping down and think we should aim for
the whole patch as submitted. Historically, the hardest part of getting
collation support into postgres has been the catalog changes and easier
the support for something other than OS locales. I supported the patch as
it was precisely because it finally did that, and the stripping down
takes us back to square one.

Implementing the COLLATE keyword is much easier once you have the underlying
support and woldn't involve any backward incompatabilities. The
stripped down version gets us to a state which will only be supported
(hopefully) for one release.

For anyone counting, Firebird added support for ICU more than three
years ago.

Have a nice day,