Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove all traces thatsuggest that a non-Bison yacc might be

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove all traces thatsuggest that a non-Bison yacc might be
Date: 2008-08-29 17:00:42
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I'm finding that this patch is needed to make this build on VPATH:
>
> I cannot reproduce any problem with a vpath build.  Make sure you have
> really cleaned the source tree from previous rounds.  Some of the files
> involved are symlinks, which might confuse make.

Hmm, yeah, I just manually deleted everything mentioned in .cvsignore
and it works now.

It seems there's no way to do this directly.  I have this:

    find . -name .cvsignore | while read line
    do
        dir=$(dirname $line)
        cd $dir
        rm -fv `cat .cvsignore`
        cd "$OLDPWD"
    done

Could we have a target in the root Makefile for this?  Right now it
bails out with

$ make distclean
You need to run the 'configure' program first. See the file
'INSTALL' for installation instructions.
make: *** [distclean] Erreur 1

>>   ! override CPPFLAGS := -I$(srcdir)/.. $(CPPFLAGS)
>
> This would create a reference to src/backend, but no .h file should ever
> live there.

Right -- the point is that keywords.c has
#include "parser/gram.h"
so if you start from src/backend, then the file is found.

>> The problem is that keywords.c is #including "parser/gram.h" but since
>> we're doing a -I.../backend/parser then it doesn't find it.
>>
>> I don't understand why it was working previously.
>
> I think the -I$(srcdir) is actually useless, and you are just
> accidentally adapting it for your workaround.

Could be.  Maybe we could just remove the line to avoid future
confusion.