Re: Improving non-joinable EXISTS subqueries

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving non-joinable EXISTS subqueries
Date: 2008-08-19 03:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So ... I'm wondering if this actually touches anyone's hot-button,
> or if we should just file it in the overflowing pile of Things That
> Might Be Nice To Do Someday.

What bugs me the most about having IN() be faster than EXISTS() in
certain situations is that it ends up being counter-intuitive and not
really what you'd expect to happen. That being said, we can always tell
people that they can use IN() as a work-around for these situations. In
the long run, I think it's definitely worth it to spend a bit of extra
time in planning the query for this case. Not knowing what else is on
your plate for 8.4, I don't know where I'd rank this, but it wouldn't be
at the top.

Thanks,

Stephen