Re: Verbosity of Function Return Type Checks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Verbosity of Function Return Type Checks
Date: 2008-08-08 15:33:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Volkan YAZICI wrote:

> Yesterday I needed to fiddle with PostgreSQL internals to be able to
> debug a PL/pgSQL procedure returning a set of records. I attached the
> patch I used to increase the verbosity of error messages related with
> function return type checks. I'll be appreciated if any developer could
> commit this patch (or a similar one) into the core.

I think this is a good idea, but the new error messages need more work.
Have a look at the message style guidelines please,
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/error-style-guide.html

Particularly I think you need to keep the original errmsg() and add the
new messages as errdetail(). (I notice that there's the slight problem
that the error messages are different for the different callers.)

Also, please use context diffs.