Re: pltcl_*mod commands are broken on Solaris 10

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pltcl_*mod commands are broken on Solaris 10
Date: 2008-07-23 14:14:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Tuesday, 22. July 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> > Yeah, I looked deeply on our solaris build script and problem is with
> > following configure setup:
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/tmp/pg --with-tcl --with-tclconfig=/usr/sfw/lib
> >
> > It found tclconfig, but not tclsh
>
> Ah. So actually there is a bug in our configure: if you've set
> --with-tcl, and it fails to find tclsh, it should error out instead
> of allowing an incorrect path to be substituted into the pltcl_*mod
> scripts. The configure code is assuming that the only thing it
> really needs tclsh for is to find tclConfig.sh, but that's not so.

Yeah, the configure code was orignally set up to find Tcl linking information,
and it does so either by running tclsh or taking the tclConfig.sh file. That
was all; no tclsh was actually necessary.

The fact that the pltcl_*mod programs use the discovered tclsh setting as well
was most likely an afterthought that was not made fully robust in the fact of
all the ways that configure could be called.

By the way, these programs start with

package require Pgtcl

but we don't provide that library. Should that bother us?