Re: [WIP] patch - Collation at database level

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Radek Strnad <radek(dot)strnad(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] patch - Collation at database level
Date: 2008-07-02 15:14:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Radek Strnad escribió:

> 2) What type should all names in CREATE and DROP statement in gram.y have?
> I've chosen qualified_name but I know it's not the best choice.

I think it should be ColId.

> 3) All collations are created from existing collations. How do I ensure that
> the collation already exists? Is there any possibility to define it in
> gram.y?

Certainly not -- shouldn't they come from a catalog? In that case, it
must come in parse analysis (parser/analyze.c I guess) or perhaps later,
when you actually execute the function to create the new collation.

> 5) Also can you look at the pg_catalog and tell me if anything is wrong with
> it?

Why does a collation have a schema?

What's the "existing collation"?

It seems a bit silly to have enum for what are basically boolean
variables. Why not just use "true" and "false"?