Re: 0xc3 error Text Search Windows French

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andrew <archa(at)pacific(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: Pg General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 0xc3 error Text Search Windows French
Date: 2008-06-26 12:50:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew wrote:
> Thanks Alvaro.

Please don't forget to CC the list.

> Reading the source for the patch, I can see how that should address the
> issue. Though I don't really understand how it is working in Linux but
> not on Windows. I assume that Linux OS is passing the UTF-8 character
> and Windows is passing a localised character, despite the format of the
> file being read, hence the need for pg_mblen, rather than just
> incrementing the pointer to the next character. Not that it matters.
> If it was a Linux bug, I would just download the trunk and rebuild.

Windows is weird in its multibyte use, and if the server encoding in the
Linux server is set to a single-byte encoding (or maybe on MB encodings
too), then it wouldn't surprise me that one worked and the other didn't.

> However, I don't have a Windows C++ build environment and not that
> interested in creating one at the moment. So I will continue playing
> with text search, and download the next Windows version once it is
> available. Any indication of when the next release is scheduled?

No idea -- it will be released when "enough bugs are fixed" (or very
quickly if a security problem is found), so you could be waiting for a
while.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Amanece. (Ignacio Reyes)