Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lee <tom(at)vector-seven(dot)com>, David Miller <miller392(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request
Date: 2008-06-20 23:45:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 20 June 2008 10:49:49 Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Lee <tom(at)vector-seven(dot)com> writes:
> > How does this sound:
> >
> > * A new GUC variable -- "activity_message_size" -- will be introduced
>
> Well, "message" doesn't seem quite le mot juste to me for a column that
> is displaying a SQL command. Usually we'd use "statement", "command",
> or "query" to refer to one of those things. Since the relevant column
> of pg_stat_activity is already named "current_query", perhaps the
> best choice is "activity_query_size". Or "activity_query_length"?
>
> Another consideration is that it might be a good idea to name it to
> be obviously related to the controlling "track_activities" boolean.
> That would lead to "track_activity_query_size", or
> "track_activity_max_length", or some such.
>
> > * Minimum value of PGBE_DEFAULT_ACTIVITY_SIZE, maximum value of INT_MAX?
>
> I was thinking about a range of 100 to 100K or thereabouts. INT_MAX
> is just silly...
>
> > I'm struggling a little to come up with a decent description of the GUC
> > variable -- something along the lines of "Sets the maximum length of
> > backend status messages". Any suggestions?
>
> Be specific:
> "Sets the maximum length of pg_stat_activity.current_query."

I think there are other places this might manifest itself besides
pg_stat_activity... I'm struggling to come up with something other than our
custom dtrace prob... ah, well, this will also control the size of statement
written into the logfile right? So we might want to take that into account.

--
Robert Treat