Re: Translated documentations

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
Subject: Re: Translated documentations
Date: 2008-06-15 02:02:13
Lists: pgsql-www

On Saturday 14 June 2008 18:19:53 Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > JPUG(Japan PostgreSQL Users Group) has been translating the PostgreSQL
> > > docs into Japanese and been distributing through their web site. The
> > > translation work is surprisingly fast, usually Japanese translated
> > > docs are uploaded no later than 1 week after PostgreSQL is
> > > released. Thanks those who are volunteering the work.
> > >
> > > I think it would be nice that PostgreSQL main web site has the
> > > translated docs or has a link to them. Many open source projects do
> > > this way. This is not only usefull but good to appeal how the world
> > > wide PostgreSQL commnuities help each other.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > I think it is a great idea.
>
> Thanks. It seems just making a link to JPUG's translated docs is
> a good start. The URL is:
>
> http://www.postgresql.jp/document/
>
> Probably we modify:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/
>
> a little bit and put links to localized docs like this:
>
> * Documentation
> * Manuals
> o Archive
> o Japanese manuals
> o French manuals
>

> * Security
> * What's New
> * FAQs
>
> Anybody wants to work on this? Or I could edit the page if I get
> enough permission.

This was on my todo list after pgcon, but I hadn't figure out where to put it.
I think what I would like to do is a combination of this and my original
thinking, which would be to add a link in the side nav under "archive"
for "translations", and also a link under the "more manuals" link
for "foreign languages" on the main doc sidebar, both of which would go to a
list of foreign language translation links. This would look similar to the
international community page, where we have the names of the links in the
foreign language. Sound ok?

--
Robert Treat