Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: Proposal: pulling newsbytes from www.pgfoundry.org
Date: 2008-06-12 02:58:12
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 03:58:40 Dave Page wrote:
> I'm not convinced that merging them is such a hot idea anyway. It will
> likely seriously reduce the amount of time any announcement gets front
> page time which will in turn reduce the usefulness of the section.
> Further, we then have a potential problem ensuring we don't get
> duplicate items when one gets approved on www and subsequently on
> pgFoundry. That of course, applies whether we merge the feed with the
> existing news, or add it as a new section (ignoring the layout issues
> that would involve!)

The other concern that I have is that this gives even less face time to core
project related news, which already has a hard time getting exposure. Things
like minor releases, project events (beta/gsoc), and large community
gatherings (oscon/pgcon) get at best limited exposure and that's if aren't
just lumped in with everything else.

--
Robert Treat