Re: Posting to hackers and patches lists

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Posting to hackers and patches lists
Date: 2008-05-07 15:03:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-www

Alex Hunsaker wrote:
> > Right, I was assuming once the patch was uploaded it would be to our
> > infrastructure and would be permanent.
>
> Heck, I dont think patch submitters really care. And Ill do whatever
> is in the dev faq.
> But Its a heck of a lot easier (for me) just to send them in email.

Sure, then just keep sending them via email. I often go through several
revisions a day as I get feedback and having all that email volume seems
wasteful.

> Plus it seems awkward to move a discussion thats taking place on
> -hackers over to patches... Granted I could post to patches first,
> wait an hour then send an email to hackers/reviewer and say hey!
> updated patch here! But it hardly seems worth it to me... In fact I
> would argue -patches should go away so we dont have that split.

The goal is for the patches list to just discuss patches, but often
there are user API issues that come up after the patch is submitted, and
people often want that discussion on hackers. The current email split
can certainly be awkward.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com