Re: Protection from SQL injection

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Protection from SQL injection
Date: 2008-04-29 21:23:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[I know, I know, bad form]

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 04:55:21PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> thinking they have to worry about that area of security at all. I
> think without a convincing argument that the proposal will even come
> close to covering most SQL injection cases, it's a bad idea.

To be perfectly clear, I also think that the reverse is true: if a
fairly complete design was demonstrated to be possible such that it
covered just about every case, I'd be all for it. (I sort of like the
suggestion up-thread, myself, which is to have a GUC that disables
multi-statement commands. That'd probably cover a huge number of
cases, and combined with some sensible quoting rules in client
libraries, would quite possibly be enough.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/