Re: get rid of psql welcome message

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date: 2008-04-19 13:14:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephen Frost wrote:
> I'd recommend an option in .psqlrc to disable it, if possible. That
> would be in line with what alot of other "splash-screen" type things do.

I like that idea. Here is a minimal patch that allows you to put

\set WELCOME_MESSAGE none

or

\set WELCOME_MESSAGE terse

into .psqlrc. The latter keeps the version information but omits the
information about the backslash commands. I didn't change any of the message
wordings. Simon's argument that screenshots and HOWTOs would need to be
updated is not invalid.

I think everyone will find a mode they like here.

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-welcome-message.patch text/x-diff 1.9 KB