Re: Lessons from commit fest

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date: 2008-04-19 02:46:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> It looks like we'll need some sort of extra filter.
>
> > Hmm. Wow. For example I see
>
> > FINDREPLACE
> > FINDREPLACEA
> > FINDREPLACEW
>
> > We use neither ... My guess is that they are used in the system DLLs or
> > something like that.
>
> Presumably we could grep our own sources for each proposed typedef list
> entry --- no hits, you don't get in.

Just came up with this:

> found
> not-found
while read line ; do
echo "looking for $line"
rgrep -q --exclude cscope.out --exclude pgtypedefs.bsdos --exclude tags "\<$line\>" .
if [ $? == 0 ]; then
echo $line >> found
else
echo $line >> not-found
fi
done < pgtypedefs.bsdos

It's simple enough that there are some false matches, for example for
"AV" (which is a symbol we do use, but it also appears in strings etc).
But I'd say it's more than enough.

It does take a while to run though ... it's not something we'll want to
do routinely.

Okay, it finished:

$ wc -l found not-found
2035 found