Re: Lessons from commit fest

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date: 2008-04-17 14:04:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > IIRC, last time I tried it, the failure was because I couldn't get it
> > to build the proper typedefs. Any chance you could just put a regularly
> > updated typedefs file somewhere that I could wget down?
>
> Have you tried the CVS version? It should support typedefs on Linux? I
> can put a continually-updated version on my ftp site if people want it.

A typedef file generated from a single build is no good. We need at
least one for a regular Unix and another one from Windows. The set of
typedefs is different.

If everyone is expected to generate the typedef on their local builds,
then the pgindent output will be different for every developer, thus
generating lots of spurious changes. This is not acceptable nor useful.