Re: Handling large volumes of data

From: Johann Spies <jspies(at)sun(dot)ac(dot)za>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Handling large volumes of data
Date: 2008-04-08 10:13:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:01:14PM +0200, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> On Dienstag, 8. April 2008 Johann Spies wrote:
> > This took about a week on a 2xCPU quadcore server with 8Gb RAM.
>
> This is not the most interesting thing here. What disk I/O subsystem do
> you use? At least a hardware RAID controller with RAID 0 or 10 should
> be used, with 10krpm or 15krpm drives. SAS preferred, as on SATA the
> only quick disks are Western Digital Raptor (which aren't too bad,
> btw).

I have got 8x720G disks in a hardware raid 5 setup. It is a Dell 2950
server. I am using an XFS-filesystem. I am not certain about the
speed of the hard disk, but we bought the fastest we could get.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer
and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests
be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which
passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts
hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6,7