Re: modules

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Dunstan <pgsql(at)tomd(dot)cc>
Cc: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: modules
Date: 2008-04-04 09:06:01
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:23:31PM +0530, Tom Dunstan wrote:
> Right. Which is why some of us have been suggesting a model where all
> modules currently in contrib are installed by default, but not enabled
> until a database owner actually issues some sort of "Install module
> foo" or whatever it looks like.

Reading the message that starts this thread I note the problem is
underspecified. We have three properties of the provider:

a. You have superuser priveledges on your database
b. You have a shell where you can compile programs
c. Your provider has instlled the postgresql-contrib package

With either a&b or a&c you're home. However, without a you're stuffed.
What I want to know is: does the situation where you have only c but
not b or a happen often? Because that we *can* do something about. Or
are we dealing primarily with providers where you have none of the
above?

Have a nice day,