Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO Item: Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted, identifiers
Date: 2008-03-27 22:39:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:30:21AM +1100, Russell Smith wrote:
> 3. the client needs to know what quote rules are in place. (libpq:
> PQfname, PQfnumber)

The question I want to see answered, is how something like DBD::Pg will
handle this. If I wrote code like this in Perl:

my %hash = $res->get_row_as_hash();
print $hash{mycolumn};

Will this change break my code? Perl hashes are case-sensetive, you
can't change that. And it seems impossibly complex to fix the above
code to work with all the possible combinations... Which starts leading
you down the path of folding in some places and not others, which is
madness.

Have a nice day,