psql and named pipes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql and named pipes
Date: 2008-03-27 16:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was under the impression that I could start a "psql -f pipe" and then
feed it commands through the pipe using echo, and expect it to hang from
one command to the next. Of course, this doesn't work -- my guess is
that echo sends an EOF after the line I send, so psql sees the EOF in
the pipe and terminates.

Does anyone have an idea how to go about this? I was expecting to be
able to drive two psql sessions in parallel in a shell script -- sort of
poor man's concurrent psql :-(