Re: Full Text Search examples patch

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Erik <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full Text Search examples patch
Date: 2008-03-26 14:10:27
Lists: pgsql-docs
Erik wrote:
> > Hmm, wouldn't it be easier to provide the pgweb table?
> Maybe - I don't know what that pgweb data would be.
> There are really two issues:
>   1. Apply changes I suggested (and attached earlier) to
> the documentation text to make code examples use a
> single table instead of two different ones.  I chose
> apod because I knew apod from tsearch2.  In the patch
> there are also some confusing inconsistencies removed,
> for instance column  'textsearch_indexable_col' is in a
> later code example used as column 'textsearch'.
>   2. Whether or not to include some actual table data (be
> it apod or pgweb). This is less important as far as I am
> concerned.
>  The first is more useful and easier to apply than the
> second.

Agreed.  The data file you sent was 1.5MB of data uncompressed.  That
isn't going in the docs.

I looked at adding just the schema you had:

	    title text,
	    body text,
	    sdate date,
	    keywords text,
	    id integer

but later saw that there were 'apod' references later in the docs that
mentioned columns that weren't in the CREATE TABLE, e.g., 'vector':

	SELECT * FROM ts_stat('SELECT vector FROM apod')
	ORDER BY nentry DESC, ndoc DESC, word
	LIMIT 10;

Please send a patch that adds the CREATE TABLE in a consistent manner
and we will consider just that addition.  Here is where I suggest you
add the CREATE TABLE in the patch:

	    title      text,
	    body       text,
	    sdate      date,
	    keywords   text,
	    id         integer);
	-- insert some data
	SELECT title, ts_rank_cd(textsearch, query) AS rank
	FROM apod, to_tsquery('neutrino|(dark &amp; matter)') query
	WHERE query @@ textsearch

I am fine with you updating the later examples to be more consistent

  Bruce Momjian  <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>