Re: [postgis-users] how many min. floating-points?

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] how many min. floating-points?
Date: 2008-03-20 21:27:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:02:12PM -0400, John Smith wrote:
> how many min. floating-points must a server hardware support for
> postgresql+postgis? does postgresql+postgis do much floating-point
> math to make a difference? can someone give postgresql+postgis
> application examples that will require high floating-points?

I think you're referring to "floating point operations per second", not
"floating points"---hence Colin's confusion.

If I understand your question, PG doesn't require any specific
performance level but your application probably does. For example, PG
would be quite happy giving back one row per year if that's all your
processor(s) were capable of. Your users may be a little unhappy with
this though!

What are you doing and what hardware have you tried it on?

Sam