Re: postgre vs MySQL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: rrahul <rahul(dot)rathi(at)cognizant(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date: 2008-03-14 14:43:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Gurjeet Singh escribió:

> I wouldn't comment on that, but having read so much about MySQL in Postgres'
> lists, I sure have a disliking for MySQL, so much so that I haven't bothered
> even downloading and installing it even once!!!

I have downloaded the source at different periods of time. The first
time it was horrid -- they had done a port to Novell recently and had
stuffed it with weird macros that made it really unreadable. Oh, and
the naming convention for source files was awful.

The second time, the macros weren't there (but then, perhaps I looked at
a different part of the source). But it was pretty much undocumented --
and the naming convention doesn't help.

My guess is that it's written in such a way that you need some sort of
roadmap or external file (missing from the GPL source) that makes it
hard to understand it. Or perhaps they preprocess a different
repository in order to create an obfuscated GPL source tree.

(I have a memory of comments in the source that looked like it referred
to some internal knowledge base or bug tracking system. But frankly it
is a dim memory and could very well be related to the PHP source or
MaxDB rather than MySQL.)

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/DXLWNGRJD34J
Management by consensus: I have decided; you concede.