Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]
Date: 2008-03-02 21:32:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:
> On 2008-02-22 21:34, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
> > Bouncing messages from a public list is kinda rude.
> >
> No more so, than sending two copies of your reply to me, because you
> don't go up to your mailer's "To:" line and manually delete the extra
> address (as I do on EVERY reply I send to this list).
>
> In fact, if you do that, you won't get the bounce. I do it out of
> consideration for others: since _I_ would prefer to not receive two
> copies of replies, I assume that _others_ prefer the same. I don't whine
> about it; I just do it.
>
> So, in return for that consideration, I get your reply. How did getting
> the bounce hurt you or your computer, or make any extra work for you,
> more than I would have to do when I get a duplicate message????

I am surprised no one suggested majordomo's 'eliminatecc' option:

http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr?user=&passw=&list=GLOBAL&func=help&extra=set

Avoid courtesy copies

The eliminatecc setting controls courtesy copy elimination. If
this setting is enabled, and your address appears in the To: or
Cc: headers of a posted message, Majordomo will not send an
additional copy to you. This helps to cut down on many of those
annoying duplicates that are often received, but it deprives you
of the additional processing that Majordomo does on a message
(subject prefixes, additional headers, etc.).

eliminatecc - turns CC elimination on
noeliminatecc - turns it off

This does what the requestor wants, namely not send email from the list
if they are already receiving the email as a reply. (It is spam removal
or elimination of duplicates that is the problem?)

> Perhaps I've been working with computers too long. I've been PAID as a
> full-time software developer for the past 40 years (45 if you count
> part-time employment in college), and I'm AMAZED at the amount of
> intolerance I see on the Internet with respect to eMails. Some people
> whine because the reply is at the top of the message rather than at the
> bottom. There are perfectly good reasons for replying at the top OR at
> the bottom, depending upon the circumstances. Other people whine
> because the sender does not wrap his/her eMail at 76 columns, or because
> the eMail is ALL CAPS, or some other imagined slight. Being an
> ADAPTABLE human being, rather than UPSET people who aren't similarly
> inclined, I simply ADAPT to the environment in most cases.

I think a lot of the finickiness comes from the fact that emails often
go to thousands of people, which does require more work from the email
author. It is the cost of being able to communicate with that many
people at once.

> Mail to my list address MUST be sent via the mailing list.
> All other mail to my list address will bounce.

Let me add that just trashing all email from you is an option many might
choose.

You seem more concerned with making things easy for yourself and not
adequately considering the thousands of people who are you communicating
with, and replying to your emails trying to help you.