Re: We should get active / Wiki choice

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We should get active / Wiki choice
Date: 2008-02-28 08:10:34
Lists: pgeu-general

On Thursday 28 February 2008 01:31:07 Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> Hi Josuah,
>
> > FYI: www.postgresqldocs.org is running mediawiki from trunk on 8.3 with
> > the integrated tsearch. It works very well. If you chose this I would
> > be happy to help whoever sets it up with what I learned.

From my perspective mediawiki is a pain for anyone who'd like to translate an
article. i might be wrong. If so, please just explain me how do i translate a
page from www.postgresqldocs.org.

for instance this page :
http://www.postgresqldocs.org/index.php/Slow_Count

Afaik the only way to make translation easy with medawiki is to create a
separate mediawiki instance for each language. Which sounds like a pretty bad
idea in our case.

Moreover i'm just frustrated that every new projet in this community just uses
English has its one and only language. I'm not asking that every projet
translate all their content in various language, i'm just asking for the
**possibility** of doing the translation. When people launch a new project,
is that so hard to ask the question : "What if a Spanish guy comes up and
want to translate our {software,wiki,flyer,whatever} ?".
In most cases, the response is a closed door.

There are still a few people on this earth that don't speak English. Some of
them don't event want to learn this language. Does this mean they cannot use
PostgreSQL or get involved in PostgreSQL Europe ?

> I just don't know at the moment who will install the wiki, when, and on
> which machine.
>
> I think those 2 brand new PG-Eu boxes at Marseilles, France (2 of the 4
> given to PostgreSQLFr and PostgreSQLEu), are waiting for this, but I'm
> no admin nor member of pgsql-www....
>
> Any clue, dear admins?

i think the admins are working on this already. There have been some changes
in the IP addresses range of these servers.

Please be patient.

--
damien clochard
http://dalibo.org | http://dalibo.com