Re: PG quitting sporadically!!

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com
Subject: Re: PG quitting sporadically!!
Date: 2008-02-15 20:12:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

Phoenix Kiula escribió:
> Thanks. Comments below. (PS: I am still unable to connect to
> postgresql even in SSH! I see this message:
>
> psql: could not connect to server: Connection timed out
> Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> Yes of course the localhost is running the pgsql server and that port
> is allowed!

My educated guess is that your network is behaving funny, or your
firewall is crazy. Or your kernel has bugs. The fact that the
connections work sometimes is one clue; this is the other:

> LOG: test message did not get through on socket for statistics collector
> LOG: disabling statistics collector for lack of working socket

This is a bad sign. For one thing, it means autovacuum, if enabled, is
not really working at all (which can, in turn, explain slowness).