Re: dynamic crosstab

From: Balázs Klein <Balazs(dot)Klein(at)t-online(dot)hu>
To: "'Erik Jones'" <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>
Cc: "'Tino Wildenhain'" <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dynamic crosstab
Date: 2008-02-15 12:29:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Erik Jones wrote:
> First, please stop top-posting. It makes it difficult for both me
> and others to know to whom/what you are replying.

Sorry, I don't know much about mailing list customs - I had to look up what top-posting is. I will behave now ...

I would prefer to keep the complications for when I retrieve the data rather then when I store it.

I could imagine something like this though to create a crosstab as an array, but I am afraid that there is no assurance that the resulting array would contain the values in the same order for each focus:

tbl(eID, aID, value)

Select eID, array_accum(value) from
(
(Select Distinct eID from tbl) e