Re: shared_buffers in 8.3 w/ lots of RAM on dedicated PG machine

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>
Subject: Re: shared_buffers in 8.3 w/ lots of RAM on dedicated PG machine
Date: 2008-02-15 18:06:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Friday 15 February 2008 06:29, Greg Smith wrote:
> PostgreSQL only uses direct I/O for writing to the WAL; everything else
> goes through the regular OS buffer cache unless you force it to do
> otherwise at the OS level (like some Solaris setups do with
> forcedirectio).

Also, note that even when direct I/O is available, most users and benchmark
tests have reported that having PostgreSQL "take over" the entire cache is
not a net performance gain. I believe this is mostly because our I/O and
caching code aren't designed for this kind of operation.

I believe that MyEmma had a different experience on their workload, though.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun