Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?
Date: 2008-02-06 16:18:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 20:16:50 -0500 (EST)
Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> I think the market for a PostgreSQL book is limited by a few things:
>
> 1) There just aren't that many potential buyers (yet!)

As someone who *still* gets royalty checks for his 6 year old book, I
disagree.

> 2) The included documentation is too good

I could buy into this one to a degree.

> 3) There's way too much community-generated material like the mailing
> lists available

Yep.

> 4) Multiple earlier free books are already floating around

Bingo! The reality is for the majority of intro topics even the 6 year
old book is more than relevant. Where Practical falls down is talking
about things like background writer or vacuum. Those particular topics
are covered ad-naseum in the docs.

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director | PostgreSQL political pundit