Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lack of docs for libpq C Library
Date: 2008-01-31 17:14:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

Tom Lane wrote:
> >> PQinitSSL *is* documented, though looking at the para immediately raises
> >> the question what the heck we are doing pointing to a random hp.com page
> >> for SSL documentation.
>
> > I added that for 8.3. The HP documentation seemed excellent, which is
> > why I added it.
>
> The question is not about whether that doc is good, bad, or indifferent;
> it is about the likely lifespan of the URL. A URL containing mostly
> random numbers instead of words does not fill me with confidence.

True, and Magnus was concerned about that as well. What I liked about
it was the diagrams which I haven't seen anywhere else. Our doc
reference is:

(See http://h71000.www7.hp.com/DOC/83final/BA554_90007/ch04s02.html for
diagrams showing SSL certificate usage.)

I put it in parentheses to highlight the URL is only for reference to
the diagrams and explaination. We can either remove the URL or remove
it if the URL changes.

SSL is pretty complicated so when I saw something that made it clearer,
I added it.

> Furthermore HP is hardly the authoritative reference on SSL. Can't
> we find an RFC or something?

See above.