planner and simple vs. complex statement was: example query for postgresql

From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: planner and simple vs. complex statement was: example query for postgresql
Date: 2008-01-20 12:10:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 09:30:11 +0200
Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il> wrote:

> I've found that multiple simple statements often work faster then
> convoluted single statements.

I don't want to steal any further time to anyone considering my
interest now is just academic since I can't handle any more
information I could put into action shortly... but still is there a
good reason that several simple statement could run faster than a
more complex one?

Is the planner able to correlate nearby simple statements?
I'd think that a more complex statement gives more clues on what's
your target to the planner that can then find a better way to
achieve it.
And yeah... on more complex statement the human can make things
worse, writing unnecessary complex sql.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it