Re: patch to add krb_server_hostname to postgresql.conf

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Todd Kover <kovert(at)omniscient(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch to add krb_server_hostname to postgresql.conf
Date: 2005-01-04 20:52:41
Lists: pgsql-patches

Todd Kover <kovert(at)omniscient(dot)com> writes:
>> Why is this necessary?

> It's largely useful in combination with restricting the interfaces
> listened to via the listen_addresses directive in the config file. As
> the code works now you can only connect via kerberos with a service
> principal derived from the hostname of the box rather than any dns name
> associated with any of the box's interfaces.

Hmm. I guess I was confusing this with the --with-krb-srvnam configure
directive, and expecting that it ought to convert that from a
frozen-at-configure value into a run-time-configuration variable.
What is the relationship of these two values, anyway?

The documentation additions are pretty poor in both proposed patches;
they do nothing to clear up any confusion.